Cherry and Almond Brownie
This is my favorite version of brownies by far because it has this natural nutty sweetness and the fresh cherries lending its tarty twist.
I love all cakes that use almond meal and especially the combination with fruits is wonderful. I was not sure about the brownie texture using almond meal, fearing that it may be more cakey than fudgy but this proportion worked for me. The color was initially not this dark so for the below batch ( which was little undone and fell apart but was loved despite that, I added coffee which did the trick to get the lovely deep color)
1 cup dark chocolate
3/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tspn baking powder
1 pinch baking soda
1 1/2 cup butter
1 cup curd / 3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1.5 tspn instant coffee granules
1 1/4 cup castor sugar
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 cup fresh pitted cherries or 3/4 cup chopped glace cherries
1) Melt the dark chocolate in microwave
2) Mix the APF, almond meal, cocoa powder with the baking powder and baking soda
3) Mix the coffee granules with the milk and warm it.
4) Mix the butter, sugar and whisk it until light and creamy. Add the curd, vanilla essence and coffee mixture. Beat again
5) Add the melted dark chocolate to this butter mixture and fold it in.
6) Next add the flour mixture and fold it in. The batter should be of dropping consistency. Do not overmix as the almond meal tends to make the batter heavy, if absolutely needed add a few drops of milk (let it stand for few min before adding milk)
7) Add the pitted cherries- this will lend some moisture
8) Line a parchment paper to a 12 inch square pan. Grease it
9) Pour the brownie batter and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 min at 180c.
Delicious brownies are ready to be devoured