Pyaz Ki Kachori
One of the perks as a working woman is to have the opportunity to meet more and more people. At work, we always have peope travelling back home for short or long trips On their return they always bring back lot of goodies which is happily shared with all. One such episode, I came across this fantastic rajasthani fare. While there are many versions to this...I tried the one that I felt came closer to the expected taste and it did work..
3 cups All Purpose Flour (2:1 APF : Whole Wheat Flour may also do)
3 tbsp Clarified Butter/ Ghee
1 tspn salt
water as needed
2 medium onion finely chopped
1 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn red chilly powder
1 tspn dry mango powder
1 tspn coriander cumin seeds powder
1 tbsp coriander seeds ( must)
2 tbsp split green gram/ moong dal (cooked until soft and mushy)
2 tspn finely chopped green chillies
1 sprig of fresh coriander
salt to taste
Oil to Deep fry
1) In a pan, take a spoonful of oil, add the coriander seeds - slightly crushed, and saute it
2) Add the onions and saute it on low flame, until it is soft , but not for very long, to keep the crunch.
4) Add the cooked moong dal (preferably drained). Saute until the mixture is dry.
5) Add salt , green chillies and fresh coriander and mix well, set this aside to cool down completely
6) In a large basin, take the flour and mix it with salt and ghee. Rub the ghee to make a crumbly flour mixture.
7) Gradually add water to make a soft dough - this should not be very stiff.
8) Let the dough rest for 15-20 min
9) Pinch out small walnut sized balls of the dough. Roll it out flat. Use a spoon to fill the onion mixture on the centre of the flat dough. Cover it from all sides and pat is gently.
10) Roll it out using some flour to dust and make a 3-4 mm thick
11) Repeat for the rest, cover the one's that are rolled out using a dry kitchen towel
12) Meanwhile heat oil in a wok/ kadai until it reaches smoking point. Reduce flame on low-medium after that
13) Drop a few kachoris at a time, turn it over after a min and let it cook until it is golden brown in color
14) When done, remove and drain on paper towel.
15) Serve hot or cold with sweet tamarind chutney