Nepali Dal/ Nepali Yellow Lentil Curry
Dal Tarkari Bhat is a common thali available across Nepal. This dal can be made in similar way using any lentil of your choice. It is a simple preparation but the small number of ingredients makes it unique and the technique of frying the dal dry with the onions lends a nice flavor.
1/2 cup yellow toovar dal/ split pigeon peas
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes finely chopped / grated
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 green chillies
1 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn cumin powder
1 tspn red chilly
1 tspn lemon juice
1 tspn turmeric powder
1 tbsp Oil
salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
1) Cook the dal in pressure cooker with 1 cup of water until it well cooked about 3 whistles
2) Strain the water and keep aside the dal, no need to mash it
3) In a pan, heat oil, add the onions and saute it till it turns pink and soft
4) Next add the garlic and dal without the water. Saute it till it is dry.
5) Add the turmeric, red chilly, coriander , cumin and saute it.
) Add the water from the dal and stir well. Now add the chopped tomatoes and salt and cover it with a lot. Let it come to a boil
7) Just before serving add the lemon juice. Garnish with fresh coriander , split green chillies and lemon wedge.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44