Khobz Al Tawa/ Yemeni Butter Layered Roti
I made the roomali roti using the same dough and it tasted awesome. The tawa roti is essentially lot of maida and butter but the taste is so good that you can expect even a health freak husband to repeat the serving
2 cups strong bread flour/ finely seived Maida
1 cup water
1 tspn butter
salt to taste
3 tbsp melted butter
1) Make the dough by mixing the flour, salt, butter and water to make soft dough. Knead only enough to gather the flour into one
2) Cover it and set aside for 30 min.
3) Now using some flour or oil slowly knead the dough until it feels elastic. About 10 min or so. The dough should still be soft and not dry
4) Now distribute the dough into 5 balls
5) Start rolling out the dough using firm but gentle strokes of rolling pin. If you are comfortable, try tossing around the rolled out dough from one hand to another, carefully. Try to make the roti as thin as possible...almost transparent
6) Heat the griddle on stove now
7) Now place the thinly rolled out dough on a marble, start brushing the edges with butter. Fold the corners to turn the roti from round to a square shape. Apply butter on all the open areas and then fold into a triangle or rectangle.
8) Place on the hot griddle. Apply more butter if required. Flip over the let it cook on the other side.
When done serve hot with your choice of vegetable or dabeekh
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44