It does look like a gulab jamun but I am sure some one from India forgot to carry the recipe along and recreated this innovatively to resemble the original.
The taste is nothing similar to the gulab jamuns we are used to, but if you forget that bit you will relish this on a rainy day.
250 gms sweet potatoes
250 ml milk
1 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tspn cinnamon powder
Oil for frying
1) Wash, peel and chop the sweet potatoes in small cubes
2) In a large pot, mix the potatoes and milk and put on stove top. Let it cook until the potatoes are soft and mushy. It will take about 20 min
3) Mash the potatoes using a fork to make a porridge like consistency
4) Add the sugar, flour and cinnamon and mix it well
5) Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
6) While the oil heats up, make small balls of the dough using oil or water for your hands while making the balls.
7) Deep fry them on low medium heat until they turn deep golden in color
Serve hot or cold.
This is slightly doughy so if you do not like that, you may add some baking powder to it to make it lighter.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44