Lime and Date Pickle / Kerala Style
Didnt I tell you here that I fell in love with the food in kerala and also that we packed loads of good things from there. I knew back then that I would be doing a lot of recipes from there at home and posting on my space to share with all. When Valli announced the pickle theme for BM, I jumped at the opportunity for this special pickle recipe. She did ask me to include one sweet version and I knew that that I had to (had to!) make this one. I made about 4 batches (albeit smaller) to arrive at the final recipe. So for the 2nd day of Blogging marathon ...3rd week, enjoy the recipe for lime and date pickle
8 small lemons
100 gms dates
50 gms raisins
1 tspn ginger garlic paste
2 tspn mustard seeds
1 pinch of fenugreek seeds
1 tspn black pepper powder
2 tspn red chilli powder
2 tspn sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar (using apple cider is also good, will give a deeper color)
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1) Wash the lemons well and wipe them off using a kitchen towel. Chop the pieces lengthwise. If possible discard the seeds and the thicker veins.
2) You may either now let them sit in the salt bath in a sterilised jar Or steam them tied up in a kitchen towel for about 10 min. If you are soaking them in salt bath, let it stand for minimum 2 days
3) In a pan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds.
4) When they start crackling, add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a min
5) Next add the sugar, red chilli powder and saute.
6) Now add the black pepper, chopped and de seeded and quickly saute for a min.
7) Next add the raisins and vinegar and quickly stir.
8) Remove from flame and add the lemons.
9) Let it stand till it is completely cooled down.
10) Now move it to a sterilised jar.
You can enjoy this from 2nd day