For my street food (BM 37) sojourn, I am taking you down under to Australia. In the year 2003, I visited Sydney via a long route. I loved whatever little I got to see in in middle of the office breaks. Towards the end of my trip, my local manager realised that I had barely seen any of Australia. He asked me this question one evening what do you want to see? I being the foodie at heart said, local food. I have been surviving on chinese, thai and italian but none of it is real authentic australian.
He took this to his heart although he was a lebanese settled in sydney. He showed me the night life of sydney which is pretty much like mumbai. Well I believe all port harbours look the same. Late evening , he took me to the sydney harbour and suggested eating road side food. That is when I tasted this wonderful recipe called pie floater. It is meat pie dunked in thick creamy green peas soup. You will be lost wondering what to finish first. It is such a complete meal in a bowl.
3 cups fresh green peas
1 inch ginger
1 sprig of fresh mint
seasoning (black pepper and salt)
1 cup fresh cream
1 tspn butter
Pie (Mushroom or any other vegetable)
1) In a pan, add butter, saute the ginger and green peas.
2) Add 4 to 5 cups of water. Add the salt and pepper and let it cook for 8 to 10 min
3) Once it boils, remove from the stove top.
4) Blend in a mixie to make a puree. Add the cream and blend again.
5) Serve in a bowl hot (reheat if required)
6) Place a piece of pie or individual pies.
7) Garnish with more cream and serve