Dalimbi Usal/ Field beans curry / Birda
Dalimbi usal as it is called, does not have dalimb (pomegranate) in it, which for me as a kid was disappointing to know. I detested the usal for a long time holding this grudge. This is also the only recipe on my blog that is posted despite me not liking it at all. Both males at home like this usal so it is made at home often. Also, this happens to be the original base for the famous mumbai misal pav until it got converted into multi sprout curry.
Coming to the recipe, I am posting this under the traditional recipes, using the style of my MIL. She does not add onions or garlic to her base, but I do to give it an extra thick base. More than the curry or usal, it are her loving efforts that make it always click. She is extremely great at serving the food and making it more palatable by following simple basic rules. I will talk about her serving skills in detail some other time, for nowgo along
2 cups field beans/ vaal (also use any other sprouts) - Soaked and skinned
1 medium onion finely chopped
2-3 Kokum (Replace with 1 chopped tomato or juice of lemon if you dont have it)
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn red chilli powder
1 tspn garam masala powder/ Use kolhapuri masala if you have
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
salt to taste
for the paste
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1 tbsp coriander
1 inch ginger
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 green chilly
2 tspn oil
a pinch of asafotida/hing
1) Wash the beans well.
2) Grind the ingredients for the paste and set aside
4) In another pan, heat oil, add the hing and mustard seeds. Let the seeds crackle.
5) Add the onions and saute it well. Add the kokum / tomatoes and saute as well
6) Add the ground paste and mix it well
7) Next add the washed beans , turmeric, chilli powder and water and cover the pan
8) Let it cook for 7-8 min.
9) Add the garam masala and stir well
10) Serve garnished with fresh coconut and coriander along with poli/roti/chapati or bread
Event : Summer Splash + Giveaway
Event - Celebrate - Summer
Event - Bake Fest
I am still ribbed for the dalmibye che usal.
Protein rich usal.