Yule's Log / Ultimate Chocolate Swiss Roll
This was waiting to be attempted in my kitchen since last year when my neighbor gifted me one on Xmas eve. The recipe is simple and the steps are fun to make, so there was really no need to push it that long, but for some dishes you need to have the right atmosphere and setting- mental setting. Which in this case has to be the Xmassy fervor
For the chocolate roll
75 gms cake flour
25 gms cocoa powder
3 small eggs
100 gms castor sugar
For the filling
2 tbsp rasberry preserve
1/4 cup chopped berries/ cherries
30 gm butter
40 gm Icing sugar
2 tspn cocoa powder
For the topping
1/2 cup melted dark chocolate
1 tspn crushed nuts (optional)
1) Separate the egg whites and beat them with sugar until they form nice and stiff peaks
2) In another bowl, add the cake flour, cocoa powder, egg yolks and beat it well.
3) Add the the egg whites to this mixture and fold it in gently
4) Line a baking sheet with greased parchment paper.
5) Spread out the cake mixture to about 1.5 inch thickness and 15 cm in width.
6) Bake in preheated oven at 200 c for about 15 min or until the cake is cooked
7) In the meantime, beat the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder until it is well mixed. Add the chopped cherries, and mix well.
8) Melt the dark chocolate on double boiler and add the crushed nuts, keep it warm
9) Remove the cake on a wire rack , flip over and gently peel off the parchment paper.
10) Quickly spread the rasberry preserve and then the chocolate icing.
11) Start rolling from the edges to form a roll.
12) Keep the seam down so that the roll stays firm
13) Move to the serving plate.
14) Top it with the melted chocolate using a spoon.
15) Use a fork to create ridges on the roll.
16) Dust with icing sugar and stars, top with xmas toppers and enjoy