Sabudana Chivda/ Fasting Feast
Sabudana chivda for me has always been the good part on a fasting day. Haldiram's and garden's off the shelf available packs also meant that I never felt the need to try it at home. But 3 things led to me trying it out at home..1 is the blogging marathon theme, 2 me spotting the nylon sabudana (large variety for frying) at the superstore and 3- my little one saying that he likes the chips and balls chivda the most.
1 cup Nylon sabudana
1/4 cup peanuts
1/2 cup potato juliennes (dried)
2 tbsp Raisins
1 tbsp broken cashews
4 green chillies finely chopped
1 tspn asafoetida (optional)
2 tspn powdered sugar
1 tspn red chilli powder
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
1) In a deep frying pan heat the oil. Reduce to medium when the oil is hot enough.
2) Using a splotted spoon, deep fry small batches of the sabudana pearls. Let them cook until they are fully puffed up. If you add them to oil that is suffiiciently hot then the pearls will remain uncooked in the centre. So keep checking the oil temperature (just check whether it is sufficient hot)
3) Strain the fried pearls on tissue paper
4) Similarly fry all the ingredients one after the other. Potato chips, chillies, peanuts, raisins, cashews
5) In a large vessel, add all the fried ingredients and sprinkle, chilli powder, sugar and salt and toss the mixture.
6) Your chivda is ready