Cream Horns / Cream stuffed puff pastry cones
This message has not been sent.
I can still not get around myself to eat the cream horns on the local bakery ever. One for the horns are all flaky and break easily leaving you messy and other that the cream is often made of vegetable oil instead of butter. This could be an one-off incident
I can still not get around myself to eat the cream horns on the local bakery ever. One for the horns are all flaky and break easily leaving you messy and other that the cream is often made of vegetable oil instead of butter. This could be an one-off incident but it has stayed over the years. I don’t think the day would come when I muster my courage to give it another try….but hey pity me not…I have just learnt to make them at home..
This happened when DH introduced my little son to this whole good world of his favorite Iranian bakery desserts. Somehow this cream horn cropped in out of nowhere and before I could leap ahead to discard the horn that gave me a sore throat both of them had gobbled it down.
After an earful, I decided to make them myself for the sake of my son’s trademark action – indicating how much he loved the dish.
So for kid’s special and to celebrate the anniversary of this lovely event - Kid's delight, I plan to share this recipe with you all..it is hardly a recipe but more of how to assemble things
1 cup Icing sugar
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 /3rd cup butter
Cherries/ jam for topping
1) Use the cream horn moulds or dummy moulds like I made. Grease the moulds if they are not non stick.
2) Roll out the puff pastry dough. Cut it in lengthwise in 1.5 inch strips.
3) Preheat the oven at 200c for 5 -10 min
4) In the mean time, wrap the strips starting from the base of the cone. Each round should slightly overlap the previous one. Pinch the base at the bottom so that the filling does not drip out later
5) Place the horns, on a lined baking sheet. Place the rack in the middle of the rack
6) Bake for 15 min. Toss over if you find the base becoming darker.
7) Remove when done on wireframe and let it cool down
8) Beat the cream and sugar together along with vanilla essence
9) Pipe this cream into the cooled horns.
10) Top with cherry/ jam or nuts