Post marriage, MIL taught me to make these as they are pretty popular with every one at home. I did not enjoy them when I first tasted it. They are sweet and sour. That was one taste I had never found in any kind of pakoras. When I tried it the next time I knew what to expect. I have loved them ever since.
1 cup coarse chickpea flour
1 tspn garam masala
1 tspn red chilli powder
2 tspn sugar
1 tspn black pepper powder
2 tbsp dried fenugreek (kasuri methi)
1 tspn citric acid/ 1 lemon juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tspn baking soda
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
1) Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
2) Add water a spoon at a time to make a medium consistency batter.Almost cake like.
3) Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan until it hot.
4) Reduce the flame to medium.
5) Drop spoonful of batter at a time.
6) Let them fry till they are golden brown in color
7) Serve hot
You can add ripe banana as a variation (It tastes good...trust me, be adventurous)