Warming on a cozy winter evening to have one pot meals that are wholesome, fulfilling and lip-smacking tasty is my idea of December fun. Dishes like Vegetable lasagna are best enjoyed during winters when you get fresh crops of aubergines, cauliflower, capsicum, carrots, green peas. There are no major rules to make this easy baked pasta. Ofcourse, there are popular recipes to make lasagna where you are expected to make particular sauces and use certain veggies, but those are best eaten are popular restaurants. At home, do what you feel like- isn’t it?
Ingredients (for 3- 4 people)
7-8 lasagna sheets (Roll out pasta dough 8x4 inch rectangular sheet)
2 medium onions finely chopped
4 medium tomatoes finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato ketchup/ sauce/ paste
4-5 fresh basil leaves + extra for topping
1 large capsicum finely chopped
4-5 garlic cloves finely chopped + extra for topping
1 tspn red chilly powder
1 tspn corn flour slurry
Salt to taste
1 tspn crushed black pepper
1 bunch of spinach blanched and finely chopped
1 large eggplant sliced in roundels (bharta baingan)
2 large tomatoes deseeded and cut in large vertical pieces
4 tbsp White sauce
4 tbsp Cheese (Mixed cheeses of your choice- mozzarella , parmesan preferred)
1) Cook the lasagna sheets for 6 min in salted boiling water. If you are using fresh dough sheets then boil for 2-3 min or until they rise to the top of the pan. Drain and set aside on a grease plate separating each sheet.
2) In a sauce pan, heat some olive oil, add the chopped garlic, and sauté. Add the onions and sauté until they are cooked. Add the capsicum and sauté for 2-3 min
3) Now add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, red chilly, salt and some water. Let it simmer for 10 min.
4) Add the corns starch slurry and stir till it becomes sauce like. Add some hand crushed basil leaves. Let it simmer for 3-4 min more and set aside.
5) In a lined baking sheet, pour some olive oil and soak the brinjals in it and set them 1 piece at a place. In the gaps place the deseeded tomato pieces soaked in salt previously.
6) Put the baking sheet in pre-heated oven at 220c for 5 min. Then switch the oven to broil/ grill mode and leave for another 6-8 min. Flip the brinjals/ tomatoes during the switch. Remove them and set aside.
7) Switch the oven to bake and reduce the oven temperature to 180c.
8) In a deep baking dish, grease the base and lay the cooked pasta sheets until they cover the base.
9) Add the brinjals to form a uniform layer. Sprinkle some salt.
10) Pour the tomato sauce on top to cover it completely
11) Place more lasagna sheets and cover until the base is fully covered.
12) Place another layer of brinjals and fill the gaps with the roasted tomatoes. Sprinkle some hand crushed basil leaves. Also add chopped garlics if you like (I did not but it tastes very good)
13) Pour the white sauce to cover the brinjals and tomatoes.
14) Place another layer of lasagna sheets.
15) Put the chopped spinach to cover the sheets. Sprinkle some olive oil , salt and black pepper on top.
16) Cover the surface with mix of cheeses (Mozarella, cheddar, parmesan)
17) Bake the dish for 15 min.
Checkout my 200th Post Giveaway
Event: Bake Fest
Event: Dish it Out - Soy and Tomatoes
200th Post & Giveaway
R u Ready to join the Magic Mingle?