Vegetable Chili & Eggless Corn Bread
No other dish took this long to get out of my kitchen as much as the corn bread. I made them couple of other ways and paired them with a whole of things. But I always wanted to make corn bread with vegetable chili. Infact I wanted to make them the Nigella way in which she baked the corn as a layer atop the chili. I attempted it mentally but backed off for the fear of spoilng 2 dishes over 1. The dish I was skeptical about was the corn bread. I wanted to make them eggless. Considering that the corn meal does ot bin very easily due to its coarse texture it was a task to bake them without eggs.
I made them and the result was awesome. The soft sponge like bread with a sweet herbal flavor was wonderful treat. We finished in off whilst it was still warm. I would like to check next time around how it stays over days.
Vegetable Chili (Indianized)
1 medium onion quartered
1 medium tomato finely sliced
2 medium tomato pureed
1 medium capsicum cubed
1 aubergine cubed
1/2 cup cauliflower florets
4-5 spinach roughly chopped
1/2 cup Split Red Lentils (Masoor dal)
salt to taste
1 tspn crushed ginger and garlic
1 tspn Olive oil
1 tbsp red chili sauce (Sweetened)
1 tspn garam masala (optional/ use spice of your choice)
1) Pressure cook the red lentils with some salt and set aside
2) In a large pan, heat some oil and saute the ginger garlic crush. Add the onions and saute until they are soft
3)Next add all the vegetables one after the other and keep sauteeing. Season with salt as you go.
4)Add the tomator puree and the sauces and spices and bring together.
5) Mash the red lentils and stir in to the vegetable mixture.
6)Add the roughly chopped palak and let it cook until it is wilted.
7) Simmer for 5 more minutes. It is ready to be served
1 cup Corn Meal
3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Olive Oil
1 cup sour buttermilk
1 tspn salt
1 tspn sugar
1 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn baking soda
1 tspn mixed Italian herbs
1) In a large glass bowl, cream the oil and buttermilk till they are well blended.
2) In another bowl, mix the corn meal, APF, herbs, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda.
3)Mix the dry and wet ingredients and fold in well.
4) Grease a bread tin, or a 8 inch cake tin with oil and dust with flour.
5) Pour the corn mixture and bake at 180c for 15 min and at 160c for 5 min in a preheated oven.
Serve with the chili or a yogurt dip.