Chivda (Roasted) Type 1
Popularly maharashtrians make 2 types of chivda for diwali. The roasted (भाजलेला) chivda is made round the year. During Diwali we deck it up a little more than usual.
For the diet conscious check my lite version here.
Others read further
500 gms Beaten rice (Poha- Thin)
250 gms ground nuts
1 cup sliced dry coconut
2 tbsp cashews
2 tbsp raisins
4 green chillies cut in small pieces
3-4 sprigs of curry leaves
2 tspn mustard seeds
2 tspn cumin seeds
1 tspn asafoetida (you can add this liberally)
2 tspn turmeric powder
2 tbsp powdered sugar
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry the nuts
2 tspn Oil for tempering
1) In a deep frying pan, heat some oil and deep fry the following in batches, ground nuts, cashews, raisins.2) Next deep fry the green chillies until they turn crispy and white in color.
3) Now, you have a choice, roast the poha in microwave (4 -5 batches for 500 gms in 10 inch dish). Micorwave on high for 4 min, stirring every 1 min. For the last minute watch stir every 15 sec. The final outcome should be crunchy.
Else, you can roast them for 20-25 min on low flame stirring constantly using a spoonful of oil.
4) They should come out nice and crunchy.
5) In a large wok/ kadhai, heat 2 tspn of oil and add the curry leaves (loads) and fry them till they are crispy.
6) Next add the mustard seeds , let it crackle, add the asafoetida, then add cumin seeds and turmeric. Also add the sesame seeds when each of the above.
8) Next add your fried goodies and stir well.
9) Let it roast for another 10 min.
This is ready to serve and store. This stays well for a month just ensure that you pack it only when this is completely cooled off.