The best accompaniment for Pesto sauce is undoubtedly the Gnocchi pasta. The potato based pasta is very easy to make fresh pasta. I say it easy but if you are first timer then you would need to be aware that it requires patience and artistic approach.
4 large potatoes (look for new crop as they are more starchy)
1 cup Refined flour
1) Boil the potatoes until soft and flaky (approximately 30-40 minutes). I cut them in halves to speed up the process
2) Mash the potatoes with a fork and not the masher as you should ideally have a fluffy mixture.
3) Beat the egg and add to the potatoes. Roll it up and now start kneading the dough by sprinkling flour as and when required.
4) You may end up using all the flour but usually we need to work up a dough similar to one taht we make for patties (ragda patties / aloo tikki).
5) Now roll up the dough in 1/2 inch thick ness and cut small pieces (eclair shaped and size). Pattern with the fork on one side.
6) Boil a large pot of water with salt. Add the gnocchi pieces in 10-15 batches. Fish them out when they pop up to the surface.
7) In a separate pan, heat some oil, add pesto sauce, add the pasta water to make a thin paste.
8) Once hot add the gnocchi and top with parmesan.