I believe this was invented by mom or maybe her mom. Coz, no one who eats the red lentils is aware of this recipe in my know how. At my home, this was as popular as biryanis. For all major occasions I remember mum making this delicious rice dish.
My father and his ancestors basically hail from Belgaum which is very popular for its small and extremely flavorful masoor dal. Trust me the belgaum masoor dal is very tasty as compared to the one we find in local markets.
We usually make any dish of masoor only when I have the belgaum breed available.
So coming back to the masoor bhath recipe, it is pretty simple to make.
1 cup long grained rice (washed and set aside)
¾ cup red lentils (soaked in water for 4 hours)
1 onion chopped
1 tspn ginger garlic paste
1 tspn red chilly powder
1 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn biryani masala/ garam masala
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking
1) In a deep dish pan, add oil and let it become hot. Now add onions and sauté it.
2) Now add the soaked red lentils and stir for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the chilly powder,turmeric and stir
4) Now add the rice and carefully stir it.
5) Add 3 ½ cups of water and let it simmer. Add salt and then cover the lid .
6) When the rice is cooked, add a spoon of desi ghee and serve immediately.
7) You can also garnish with fresh coconut and coriander.