Bombay Special - Misal Pao
Before I proceed to the method of cooking, I would like to warn the purists here that I have taken liberty to modify the original dish for 2 reasons, a) to make it simple and quick and b) the original recipe calls for authentic ingredients which could be missing in most parts of the world
1) Heat a pan, add a tspn of oil. When it becomes hot add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
2) Now add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let it crackle as well.
Now add the sprouts and saute it for a minute on high flame.
3) Add salt to taste, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and water to cover it.
4) Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Usal is ready.
1) In a large deep dish pan, heat oil.Add chopped garlic, ginger and onion and saute it for few minutes.
2) Add tomato and let it cook till oil seperates.
3) Now add the coconut (use dry cocunut if you do not have fresh).
4) Transfer the mixture to a blender. When it cools down a bit, blend it and make a paste.
5) Put the mixture back to the pan, add garam masala, salt to taste, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and 3 cups of water.
6) Let it simmer till oil comes to the top. Keep aside
1) In a serving bowl, first place, the fillers, boiled mashed potato, farsan(mixture), usal.
2) Serve the kat in a small bowl so that it could be used as required.
3) Garnish using finely chopped onions, tomatoes, lemon, coriander.
4) Serve with bread slices/ pav